Saturday, January 7, 2012

Angel Unborn


1. Amber

When I turned on the light, the bedroom floor looked like a murder scene. I was convinced for an instant that God was going to take from me my wife and unborn daughter. Kelley stood quivering amidst the crimson horror and said 'I think I need to go to the hospital'.

After an exponential breaking of speed limits and traffic laws, we were met by a group nurses. Several ultrasound tests later, it was determined that an old biopsy procedure site had opened when she had her first contraction, instead of the tragedy it was first thought to be. I looked into the mirror in the maternity room and saw two long tendrils of gray hair coming from my temples that had not previously existed.

About 10 hours later, she was born. I knew in that second I would never be the same. I had just become something I always wanted to be. I was now somebody's dad and it's all of a sudden not all about me anymore. 

2. Daniel

After three false labors, he came into the world on a bitterly cold morning with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. He was not breathing and unresponsive to the midwife's slapping and pronounced chantings of ' Baby! Baby! Baby!' She said to her assistant to get the team of 'special' nurses. 

Two smiley faced women wearing smiley faced nurse smocks entered, scooped up his limp purple body and said they were 'going to take baby out of the room for a minute'.  I knew if those two bitches took him, they would quickly give up and I would never see my son alive.  

I grabbed him away, laid him on a table, held his hands, looked toward the sky, closed my eyes and I bullshit you not, I saw a light. What happened then or for how long, I have no recollection. The next memory I have is being shaken by the nurses. They were saying 'Mr Grimm, he's OK, you can let go now.' 

I looked down to see a little pink baby boy screaming his fucking head off. I held him for a minute then handed him to the nurses who checked his vital signs. He promptly urinated all over the bunch of them. My sentiments exactly. They took him over to Kelley and she held our son for the first time. I sat down next to the bed. She asked, 'What just happened?'  Later, the midwife asked 'What did you do?' To this day, I still have no answer. 

This poem is called 'Asaliah'

To my little boy
never born 
unto us 
I feel 
your angel 
tonight

Though you 
never
became
our child 
in this life
still I feel 
your light presence
and longings
to be 
my son
to be
our children’s brother

and of my true love 
she would bear
bring you forth
and love 
with a fortitude 
possessed 
only by mothers

Your first 
cry would dispel
my dark imaginings
I would become 
filled 
with a strength 
known only 
to fathers

We would raise you 
with a love
known only
to parents 
and  
name 
you 

Asaliah

an angel 
whose guidance
I cherish 
and name
I have 
always had 
a reverence.
I feel you 
close tonight 
my son
not 
holding my hand
but in a dream
I conjured 
from chaos
and distilled 
into liquid starlight
dancing on oceans
of nectar 
behind
drawn 
curtains
of my 
haunted 
eyes
and sing you 
to sleep
with hymns
from our joys
unrealized
until our souls
can do 
aught
else
but 
collide.

All my love always,
Max



No comments:

Post a Comment