Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Door in the Sky


He was already halfway into the Christmas vodka by the time I walked through the door. 'Go get yourself a glass and sit down' he barked. 'I always told myself that one day you and I were going have a drink of vadker and I was going to tell you some things'.

I had heard the stories from my Mom, grandparents, aunts and uncles. I had seen the old yellow newspaper from his hometown with his picture on the front page. A 24 year old steel eyed soldier posed behind a machine gun and a waist high stack of Nazi soldier helmets. The family always spoke with glowing reverence of his single handed obliteration of a platoon of German soldiers that had planned a surprise midnight attack on the American troops.

'We're so proud of him. Your Dad is a hero. He saved the lives of all his men.'

Sergeant First Class George B. Grimm received the highest honor that can be awarded for heroism in battle without dying. I still have his silver star medal in my top dresser drawer along with the swastika and iron cross he took off a dead soldier. When we were in depositions and negotiations for his medical malpractice and wrongful death law suit, I secretly carried his silver star in my pocket. 

'First of all' he said, 'your daddy was a damn good soldier. I did what I was told. I did what I had to do.' 

He stood at his position while on solitary night watch while the rest of the troops slept. Somehow he became aware of an immediately impending attack by a German platoon. He sequestered himself beneath a bridge with as many machine guns and armaments as he could quickly gather. When the enemy forces stormed over the bridge, he let fly with a flurry and hail of gunfire unleashing a storm of blood rain upon himself from the fresh corpses of soldiers above. 

He killed every last single Nazi son of a bitch in sight all by his lonesome damn self.

Part of him never emerged from beneath that bridge, never stopped hearing echos of gunfire, never came clean from the bloodshed, never awoke from the night terror. 

Nearly four decades after that night, as we pounded down shot upon shot of vodka, he finished telling me his story. It was the first time I ever saw my father cry. I tried to put my arm around him but he told me to sit back down. We sat across the table for what seemed forever while he repeated 'your daddy was a good soldier, your daddy was a good soldier, your daddy was a good soldier......'

A Door in the Sky

The fragility of children 
transcends space and time
trickles through pores
on the surface
of the grid work of his skin
surrounding his face. 
Immemorial legions of bastards 
drawn to his bedside
to bask in the sun
as his father
calls him back home. 

The light of his day
was preceded with glory. 
His family sat round
trading stories over coffee
cakes and regressions
led to tears
soaking the bread of communion
shared at his dining room table. 
The lamp overhead
was the only light artificial
in this room full of angels
ancestors and souls
of those he had loved
and loved him in return. 

The lives he took
on the battlefield returned
and offered forgiveness
for his unchosen tasks. 
The light overhead came closer. 
We witnessed stillness and haste
in its approach. 
Then God as a man
rose up and proclaimed
his innocence had returned 
and he shared it with those
present and otherwise. 

He kissed us goodbye
one final time
as he ascended and climbed
through a door in the sky. 

All my love always,
Max

PS. If I have one prayer right now, it is that Dad is looking over my shoulder as I write this and saying 'You told it right, kid. You told it right.'


1 comment:

  1. your writing wrings out the blood in my dna. My German grandfather...I have always known he was a Nazi...such obedience surrounded him. Your father, bless his heart. My grandfather, bless his heart. He forgot more than he ever rememberbered and died by forgetting to nourish himself...starved of memories.

    ReplyDelete